Welcome to
WORKIN - WILLYS

NO WAX REQUIRED

Clarissa and the 51cj3a in 93

This photo is one of the few I could find of our 51CJ3A around the time we brought it home

firewall repair wiring wiring in the signals
I bought the 51 along with a 50cj3a from a fellow who was losing his job at a local aircraft manufacturer. He was in the process of installing a Pinto engine in it and had used a lot of aluminum and rivets for replacement supports. A lot of the jeeps parts were in the back in boxes. The 50cj3a had an aluminum top and a complete rear PTO, no engine.
o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
I looked it all over and descided to store the 51 untill later. The 50 went to our Jeep junkyard. About 3 years later Ben and I removed the Pinto engine and I filled in the hole they made in the firewall with a piece from a 60cj. We cut away the modified motor mounts, painted the front frame, firewall, guages and all other small parts I could scrounge. I collected parts for a few more years and finally got back at it again this time installing an L head from a rusted out 47cj2a I picked up in 1998. After contemplating a radiator retrofit I let the project set a few more years.
o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
I worked on the 3A again in the fall of 03 after I decided to use the 47 2A radiator. There are no mounts on the crossmember of a 3A and I decided against welding on any. I opted for an angle iron frame to hold the radiator to the grill. Before it was finished Something got in my way, either wood cuting,hunting or the cold weather of upstate NY. Finally this summer I started in again. After a lot of measuring, triming and more triming, I was satisfied. I prefer not to alter the cj's but given the condition of the body there is no point in putting all the money into the cost of original parts.
o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
8/?/04. We just finished a total rewire (the last owner threw it all away). He did give me 2 turn signal switch sets so we put one on for the flashers. We are going to mig some patches in some of the rust that didn't get the pop-rivet treatment. I don't have an extra air cleaner so were temporarily instaling one from a 89 Pontiac . We mounted a 6V solenoid on the starter. We are Adding new front springs and a new afermarket gas tank. The carburator that was on the 47 Lhead was a YF cobbled on by a past owner. It did work when I last ran the motor around 1999. It is flooding bad so I am putting an original carb on for now. I seem to have a lot of trouble with those so I may try to put the YF back on later.
o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
Well the project got stalled again when the family van's transmision failed. I lost all my extra time for a month on that and then it was wood cutting time so I am back to a cold crawl with no warm place to work I won't make much progress until spring. I was working on the brake system before all this. I have to get that done to make it mobile for winter storage.
o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
9/6/05 We have been back at it for a few days. The brakes are functioning and the headlites work. We decided to paint the drawbar before we put it back on. We are hoping to have time to set up the passenger seat and install the new front leaf springs before we have to start the wood cutting season. There is no toolbox so we are pulling a repairable one from a parts jeep. Wow I don't remember this thing smoking like it does! Oh the price of oil!

Drawbar painting Bubba is painting Clarissa painting The 51CJ3A 9-8-05

Toolbox was cut out patch stitched in patch welded in Repaired toolbox

o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
10/07 I am finally back tinkering with the 51. It has been over a year since we ran it and it would not roll fast enough to start. I set up some heavier battery cables by doubling up some 12 volt cables. I also added another ground to the starter. We put the new springs on the front and can now move it around on its own power.
o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
1/08 Ouch... found a puddle of gear oil on the floor after a few test runs. Found that the spider gears are out in the front differetial. I am in the process of changing out the whole unit.
o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
2/2012 While re-ringing the engine we found the motor had been rebuilt before. One piston had to be replaced because of a broken ring This motor should have a complete rebuild but that will have to wait. With the new rings installed it no longer smokes and is now ready for some body preservation work.
o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
This page is under construction WORKIN WILLYS
o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
o~~~~~~ Last update 2-25-12 ~~~~~~o